Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 1, Sheep in a Jeep

I love books.

Big books, little books.
Fat ones and skinny ones.
Children's books, adult books and books that please all ages.
New books fresh off the press and old books with wrinkled spines.

I love books.

Picture books, inky books
Books from the library and on loan from a friend.
Books with my name written inside the front cover.
Books of poetry, books of history and books that use beautiful language to tell a story.

I love books.

(And, just for the record, I love my Kindle, too! It's like holding several bookshops & libraries in your hand all at the same time! Bliss...)

If you share my affinity for books, you have come to right place!!!

If you would like to see what I am reading- both to myself and to my children- please plan to join me every Tuesday for a book review called, Tea & A Good Book Brewing!

I can't wait to get started...I have a list taller than I am of books I would like to share!

I thought I would start by sharing Parker's favorite book. He is 21 months old and already quite attuned to the joys of reading- or, shall I say, the joys of being read to!!! He has several books he likes in particular and they surface several times a day (especially if I happen to sit down in the "reading chair"-my comfy brown recliner- and he views me as an easy target!)

Sheep in a Jeep, written by Nancy E. Shaw, with pictures by Margot Apple, was given to Parker for a baby gift and has he ever enjoyed it!


This charming little story is comprised of simple rhymes, such as, "Uh-oh! The jeep won't go." and "Jeep goes splash! Jeep goes thud! Jeep goes deep in gooey mud."

The sheep's plight goes from bad to worse until they end up with: "Jeep for sale-cheap."

I like children's books where the adult (me, in this case!) can find entertainment from little nuances that the children probably overlook, and even in this simple little book, there they are, with hilarious human-like postures, expressions & action coming from the sheep!

The story lines in this book have a perfect relationship with the pencil illustrations, which are somehow muted and vibrant both at the same time. Maybe this comes from the artist's use of a basic, simple color theme throughout the book, which is perfectly suited for a children's story.

There is a whole series of books about these hapless sheep! We currently have Sheep out to Eat  and Sheep in a Shop out of the library, as I thought Parker might enjoy some variation, but so far he hasn't come to view them with the same aplomb as he does Sheep in a Jeep!  Still, they are really cute & funny and worth recommending!

In Sheep out to Eat, the sheep have a rather unfortunate escapade in a tea shop and they end up realizing that the grass outside is more their style.

Maybe what our friends the sheep really needed after a jeep that ended up in a heap & a tea-shop debacle was a cup of chamomile tea.

What evokes the very essence of comfort like a cup of chamomile tea?

You know, when Peter Rabbit had a rather unfortunate escapade in Mr. McGregor's garden, his mother put him to bed (without any supper) and made him a cup of camomile tea. We will ignore the fact that Peter probably sipped his tea with great remorse (especially as Flopsy, Mopsy &Cottontail had blackberries & cream for supper) and instead think about how much more right Peter's world probably felt after that cup of tea.  

Who of us doesn't have days of calamity?

Who of us couldn't use a cup of chamomile tea?

And if I were you, I would find a nice big book to go with it!

Some combinations in life are hard to improve upon. And tea coupled with a good book is one of them.

Comments

  1. I find life depressing to be without a goood book !!! So I'll be waiting eagerly for your Tuesday posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I have a stack of books sitting beside my favorite chair (several of which are hoping to be featured in upcoming Tuesday posts!) and it gives me happy feelings just to see them there! Glad to be sisters to a fellow bookworm!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy