Looking for the Light

I went to the supermarket closest to my house this afternoon and piled my cart full of things that would have given any astute observer an idea of what is going on in my house:

Cup-of-soup

Bananas

Canned fruit

Pedialyte

Cuties

Jello cups

Lysol- with bleach

Popsicles

Oatmeal packets

Infants Acetaminophen

Grape juice

Sanitizing wipes

Desperate times require desperate measures.

And when three out of six family members are exhibiting symptoms of the flu, times are indeed desperate.

I dread winter each and every year, and now that I am a mother, the dread has been exonerated times 4.

Dark days, overcast skies and trees with nary a leaf are bad enough, but give me a household of people with coughs, diarrhea and the pukes, and my head really starts to hang low.

This will pass, this will pass, this will pass...

I hear the whisper, but mid-January is not a time for believing that spring will come again.

Even my mother admitted recently that mothering sick children is one thing she does not miss from the days when we were young!

Nope, when I am old and grey I shall miss downy heads on my shoulder and eager faces at my table slurping spaghetti, not being called from my bed at 4 am to change sheets.

Caring for sick children seems at times like traversing a long, and rather dark tunnel. You know there's got to be light at the end somewhere, but you sure can't see it yet, and the batteries on your flashlight are failing fast, so it would be nice to come out soon.

Like, really soon!

In the meantime, it's a good thing I can count in the dark, because I have a few mercies to remember:

1. Tylenol, warm mist humidifiers, saline drops, and herbal potions- You might not make the illness disappear, but you lend a little comfort along the way, and for that, I am deeply grateful.

2. Washers- You take away the evidence of that 4 am upchuck, and I don't even want to go to that place where we imagine life without you.

3. Disposable Pull-Ups- Wow! Am I ever glad for you when the Dreaded Day of Diarrhea strikes the four-year-old! Let's just keep this bond a secret from the land-fill, shall we?

4. The Garbage Truck- You don't get thanked often enough, but let's just say that tonight, you're my hero! My apologies if the load at my side of the curb almost put you over the edge. It's a cliff I have peered over as well, and it's not a pretty one.

5. The Internet- I know, I often complain about how overrated you are, but guess who I went to when I wanted to know more about the BRAT diet? And how to make the saline drops? And the proper use of a bulb syringe? You guessed it. Just don't let it go to your head.

It's true! There's a lot to be thankful for in dark, dank places.

Even so, I am hoping to be out of here soon!

Because I am pretty sure I can not only count, but multiply, my mercies when I am standing in the light at the end of the tunnel.


Comments

  1. I hope the flu passes quickly for you guys. I have been hearing a lot about the wonders of 100% grape juice with a capful of apple cider vinegar (with the mother) a few times a day. They say that if you have been exposed to the stomach flu and start taking this before exhibiting symptoms you can avoid catching it. We have been spared (so far) due to being stuck at home with constant colds/sinus infections, but that will be my go to if anyone comes down with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearing stories like yours makes me glad that I only have two kids, ages 6 and 22. I'm praying your family gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stuff that's going around right now is virulent! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it turns out that our short conversation in Kid to Kid and your brief encouragement was exactly what I needed to decide that I really should give blogging a try. Thanks for talking and thanks for writing. :) my little space is over here at www.genevaeby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy