Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 25, Introducing May's Book of the Month

There has been a newfound freedom these early May days for the student and the teacher in our little school!

Elasa is very nearly a graduate of first grade (bring on the celebratory fireworks!!!) and since we don't have to count days yet, it's just a matter of finishing up books. Reading, phonics and handwriting are done, leaving just math, and on that we are in the final light unit. My hope is to complete that as well in the next several weeks, doing several lessons a week.

Maybe one of these days I will review first grade in hindsight and how it all worked for us. Until then, if you're curious about what first grade looked like at the beginning of the year, you can go to this post.

You would think that with school wrapping up, I would have a whole hour or two free for reading and other luxurious pleasures, right?

Well, nice thought, but not quite reality!

The curious thing is that the time that I would normally be teaching gets sucked right up into other chores or ambitions...until I wonder how I found time to teach! I guess it all goes to show that we have time for that which gets priority, and when it's not school, other things will take it's place.

Either way, I am happiest when I have several books on the go at any given time, even if I only get to read a couple of paragraphs a day, so I do have a book for this month!

I am not quite sure how A Memory of Violets, by Hazel Gaynor crossed my radar, but maybe the fact that it has flowers in the title has something to do with it?


It is Spring-time, after all, and I can't get enough of the flowers around me (even if most of them belong to my neighbors!!!)

This book is a historical fiction and a novel of London's Flower Sellers. According to Amazon, this is what one can expect:

"In 1912, twenty-year-old Tilly Harper leaves the peace and beauty of her native Lake District for London, to become assistant housemother at Mr. Shaw’s Home for Watercress and Flower Girls. For years, the home has cared for London’s flower girls—orphaned and crippled children living on the grimy streets and selling posies of violets and watercress to survive.

Soon after she arrives, Tilly discovers a diary written by an orphan named Florrie—a young Irish flower girl who died of a broken heart after she and her sister, Rosie, were separated. Moved by Florrie’s pain and all she endured in her brief life, Tilly sets out to discover what happened to Rosie. But the search will not be easy. Full of twists and surprises, it leads the caring and determined young woman into unexpected places, including the depths of her own heart."


I like reading books about new subjects, and in that regard, I am interested to see where this one takes me.

Join me?

Comments

  1. Kara requested this book at the library for me. I am looking forward to reading this book this month! I needed a book to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to have you join me, Mom! Hope you enjoy it...:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy