Celebrating the First

From this


To this


In one short year.

Amazing!!!

When I consider how quickly the past twelve months have gone, the only thing I can wrap my mind around is a question: how did that happen? 

A year may sound like a long time, and for many things it is, but it's not very long to go from a helpless infant to a toddler who is capable of babbling, going up steps at the speed of light, wreaking havoc in the pantry, plowing around the house behind a little push toy, standing up in the bathtub, and putting anything but food in his mouth.

There's so much happening- and so much ground covered- in that first year!

Add to that the fact that Finley has been such a delight, and I think I am beginning to understand why it feels like time has gone so fast.

Last evening we had a birthday party for Finley at the park, which included both sets of grandparents and some aunts, uncles and cousins. I had fun with a woodland theme, having picked a fox for Finley's animal some time ago, and all concerned had a good time- even if Finley doesn't really eat solid foods yet, and therefore did not partake of any cake or ice cream! In fact, we all thought it was a real milestone when he ate the sum total of one chocolate chip!








Today we celebrated a bit more quietly, and with just our family, although thanks to party leftovers and some fresh corn-on-the-cob, we had the simple makings of a second party! Once again, Finley didn't really eat any cake (maybe just a lick or two of icing?) but he did justice to the smashing part of the smash cake!

I wanted to make something special for Finley that he could both use and keep, so I made a quilt (a first for me!) last week, and while I'll try to give more details another time, you can see it on the pictures below for now, complete with the theme of foxes! 

The children also wanted to give Finley little gifts, and when I was at JoAnn Fabrics last week choosing a fabric for my quilt back, Elasa was looking at some little stuffed animals and actually found a little fox named Finley, which tickled her half to death, and helped to settle the "what should I give him?" quandary! Gavin gave him a book that I had on hand, and there was a ball from Parker, so the birthday boy was well celebrated!







The nice thing about one-year-olds is that they come to their birthdays with very low expectations! They don't have a wish list, nor do they request sleepovers, and they would just as soon chew on their hats as wear them, so they are pretty easy to please.

They also leave the sentimental fuss to their mothers. 

If I am going to cry over how tiny his pajamas were a year ago, or sniffle over newborn days departed, I'll have to do it alone. 

Finley is all about moving on to the next milestone, and since he has proven himself to be a delightful traveling companion on the journey thus far, I might as well get on board and enjoy the ride.

Full steam ahead to toddlerhood!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy