Sitting Still While Hard At Work

I know I shouldn't be sitting down to write when there are dirty dishes on the counter, fresh- baked cookies to put away, sticky spots from an iced tea spill on the floor, wet laundry in the washer, and a wreck-of-a-house to clean and tidy before a house showing tomorrow morning, but I find that the crazier my life is, and the longer my list of things to do, the more I am drawn to my keyboard.

Maybe it's because the words look so orderly on the screen, and with our cupboard doors off their hinges and most of my kitchen stuff packed into boxes while we paint the cabinets, my world is less than orderly.

Maybe it's because writing is a way to process and communicate when my opportunities to do either seem so slim and interrupted these days.

Maybe it's because I am feeling a little desperate today and would like for you all to join me in praying for a breakthrough with this whole house-selling ordeal!

Whatever the reasons, I am glad for a blog on days like this when I need a spot to sort my tangled string of beads.

We've had the house on the market since the end of April, and while we've had nine showings, there have been no offers, so we're trying to figure out what to do next.

Try a new realtor?

Have an Open House?

Lower the price?

Repaint the living room and put down a new rug?

All of the above?

Knowing when to wait and when to act can be tricky business.

We said from the beginning that we wanted the Lord's will, and that if we couldn't sell the house, we would take that as His way of saying we should stay put awhile longer, but it's been a challenge to know how much to push the whole thing.

I tend to swing wildly between wanting to do everything in our power to make the sale of this house go through, and feeling pretty lackadaisical and ho-hum since there isn't anything I can do anyway, so why even try?

This week things have swung a bit too far over to the frantic side, which explains the cupboards and their new coats of white paint.

I am not sure exactly how this applies, and I am more than likely taking it completely out of context, but a verse that has been ringing in my ears today is this one:

"You will not need to fight in this battle. Stand firm, hold your position, and see the salvation of the LORD on your behalf. " (2 Chronicles 20:17 ESV)

And here's a cross reference that I like:

Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today.
(Exodus 14:13)

I've been fighting a battle this week with weapons built flimsily of desperation and desire, and as you can imagine, it has not gone well for me or my family.

It's time to try a different tactic.

By the grace of God- and the power of your prayers- I am going to attempt to dust and vacuum and clean bathrooms and declutter the school table and put fresh flowers in a vase on the kitchen table in preparation for our tenth showing while sitting still in my heart.

Comments

  1. Love this. I'm in a completely different set of circumstances but facing the exact same kind of quandary. We'll try sitting still together.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Gina. You are in my heart and my prayers so often these days. There are so many ways for the enemy to get us down, but one answer for us all: Jesus. I didn't mention this in my post, but I came across a song today called Stand Still and Let God Move, and the words were very meaningful, so maybe you would find them encouraging, too. And thank-you for commenting...it means so much to me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy