A Note to Spring

Dear Spring,


I apologize for the welcome you received on the day of your big debut! 
The calendar had your name written all over March 20th, 
and instead, 
an imposter dressed in the form of snow & slush came around 
and stole the show! 

Please don't be offended and take your business elsewhere! 
I was not terribly enamored with your replacement, 
or with the pile of wet snow suits and mittens
left in my children's wake.

Winter has been a hard-nosed master this year 
and he may try to frighten you off, 
but have no fear...
the calendar is all yours now for three glorious months, 
and if I were you, 
I would take full advantage of that fact! 

The robins are here, 
the daffodils are sprouting, 
and I took a peek at my flip flops today,
just to be sure I knew where they were.

All we need, now, is you! 

Your warmth will be the breath of kindness we've all been waiting for. 
Your touch the caress that will smooth away the wrinkles wrought by Winter.

And just in case you haven't noticed,

the sun has been doing some amazing things these days
like shining in my kitchen window while I am making supper, 
and inspiring me to houseclean my attic!

Please take the changing of the light
as a cue that you're up next!

Spring,
you may have been cheated out of your first day of work,
but as far as I am concerned,
you can have your job back.

Starting tomorrow!


Comments

  1. I know for sure that Spring really and truly is here because I heard the Spring peepers for the very first time tonight!!! What a wonderful sound that was!!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous! Do you think you could loan me a few? I miss that lovely sound of spring now that I've moved away from the house beside the creek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In northern Pennsylvania, large snow piles still bank the sides of driveways, and north facing hillsides are still dotted with snow. I'm feeling the winter doldrums myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Made me smile when I read it last week - when I really wanted to complain about the cold.

    But today it is actually feeling like spring - so maybe your letter helped!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy