Random Review- Installment 3, Going Green


Have no fear, this is not a post on the merits of taking your own bags to the grocery store and planting trees and turning the water off while brushing your teeth!

It's not even about the joys of recycling, although our big blue recycling container is currently overflowing in a way that gives me no end of pleasure these days, which means I am making headway in the cleaning frenzy purge that is underway at our house!

No, all of these things are right and good, but this post is about feeling Irish for a day, making corned beef and cabbage, and finding out what, exactly, a three leaf clover has to do with March 17th!

In other words, it's about how our little family enjoys a few fun traditions and a bit of extra green on St. Patrick's Day.

To begin with, what is St. Patrick's Day?

Well, to make a long explanation short, it is a global celebration of Irish culture on or around March 17. It particularly remembers St Patrick, one of Ireland's patron saints, who ministered Christianity in Ireland during the fifth century.

For the longer story, Let Me Die in Ireland, by David Bercot, would be a good place to start, although to my shame I have yet to read the book (one of those things I intend to remedy one of these days!)

While we are not in the habit of celebrating departed saints, and I am pretty sure this is the only one I think about during the year, it doesn't hurt us to be inspired by a man who gave us a good example of honorable sacrifice and Christian service, and to expose ourselves to thoughts about a different country seems to be a good thing as well!

When I think of St.Patrick's Day, I can't help but think of corned beef and cabbage, and on the years when I have cooked something special on this day, that is exactly what it has been!


We bought a corned beef brisket at Aldi's in anticipation of this day, then, realizing that it was too much for our family. we took a large portion of it to fellowship meal on Sunday. Since the majority of the spice packet was used on that meat, I had to figure out how to season my meat without it today. In searching for a recipe, I found this site and it was most helpful with it's list of spices and simple cooking method. I ended up using bay leaves, coriander spice, mustard seed, caraway seed, black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, allspice, and whole cloves. I think the only thing I was missing off of her list was the white peppercorns.

A dish like this is where a stocked spice cupboard comes in handy and it was extra fun to grab and dump the various jars and containers today since I just reorganized this very cupboard!

I followed the method of putting the spices on the bottom of the crock pot, with carrots, celery, onions, minced garlic, meat and potatoes on top (adding the cabbage about 3 hours or so before eating so it wouldn't be overly mushy) even though I don't think I ever did that before, and I must say that it was certainly the best corned beef and vegetables I ever made! While it was cooking, the most fragrant aroma permeated the air, and it all was quite flavorful, so I was pretty impressed!


Along with our corned beef, I decided to make Irish Soda Muffins! They are in a Taste of Home cookbook of mine alongside a St. Patrick's Day meal, so while I have no clue how authentic they are, the name sounds right and they are quite delicious. so I guess that's enough for me!




In order to top off our meal with something extra special, I made Minty Ice Cream Shamrocks, another Taste of Home recipe in the same themed meal as the Irish Soda Muffins. I love mint ice cream (in fact, I am pretty sure it's my favorite ice cream!) so having a day where mint is the natural choice suits me pretty well! I already had the shamrock cookie cutter from making these cookies back in 2009, and I was reminded of this fact just yesterday when I was organizing the kitchen drawer where such things are kept, so here again my cleaning spree came in handy!

I was thinking about where the whole "clover, shamrock" thing comes in to play with this day, and about it's association with luck, and then wondering if I was a bit pagan to be making shamrock cookies, so I was relieved to read that according to legend, Saint Patrick used the three-leaved shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity to Irish pagans. I felt much better after that and was able to eat my shamrock cookies with a clear conscious!!!

As always, it doesn't take much to excite the children, and not only were they eager to get their hands into the pie today, but Elasa & Gavin began their preparations yesterday by making cards and discussing wardrobes. Elasa found a green dress in her closet and brought it downstairs since of course it was the very one that needed some mending!

(Elasa wasn't sure how one decorates a St. Patrick's Day card, so she drew her version of the American flag. At least they both had plenty of clover, thanks to Tupperware stencils!!!)


By the time the corned beef and Irish soda muffins were served, we were all wearing something green and wiping our mouths with green napkins, so a good time was had by all!



We may not be Irish, but we have enough red hair and get blamed for enough temper and drink enough tea that we might as well be, so on this one day of the year, dreams of a far-off country with green grass and lovely ruins come easily.

After all, we may never make it to Ireland, but we can bring Ireland to the kitchen table.

Which, come to think of it, just may be one of the best ways to "go green" (Save the jet fuel! Save the greenbacks!) that I can think of.


Comments

  1. Joanna, your spices look a lot like those in my cupboard. Except my containers are alphabetized (or supposed to be!) Your supper looks delicious. Those minty ice cream shamrocks look like they would make a good summer treat. You could use another seasonal cutter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy