Book Reviews for the Month of March {Ode to Books, Installment 1}

I am the type of person who feels a little lost if I don't have a good book (or two or three) on the go at any given time, and while different stages of life effect how quickly I get through my stack, it has yet to effect whether or not I want the stack there in the first place, for I always, always do!

The purpose of these posts, therefore, is to give an overview of a few of the books that are passing through my hands during any given month, and by way of disclaimer, they are definitely going to reflect my personal interests and tastes, and not necessarily be ones I am choosing to please the greater populace at large!

In other words, you should think of these posts more as "books I am currently reading" and not so much as "books that are in the top 100"... although now and then, the two may just coincide!!!

And now, shall we begin with my favorite from the month?


The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey,

I found this book to be truly fascinating! You know, the kind that's hard to lay down, and then you're sorry when it ends because you were enjoying it so much! The main plot surrounds a man & woman who are childless and trying to build a new life as pioneers in the wilds of Alaska. The plot thickens, so to speak, when the couple spot a young girl flitting about outdoors...alone...in the winter...in Alaska! Jack and Mabel suddenly find themselves with a puzzle to solve, as well as a new reason for living! There are parts of the story that had me wondering if I was reading some kind of fantasy story, but no, the story, while definitely a novel and perhaps highly improbable, is not fantasy! The ending was not the fairy-tail ending that quantifies many books, but in thinking about it, I decided that the ending fit the story and was probably the most likely, if not the most likable...and I am certainly not going to tell more, lest I spoil it for you when you read the book (because I really think you should!!!)


Sickened: The True Story of a Lost Childhood, by Julie Gregory

I have mixed feelings about this book. While Julie paints vivid pictures of her childhood and youth as a victim of  Munchausen by proxy (MBP)- an illness that was created in her mother’s mind and which is considered one of the most dangerous forms of child abuse- some parts of the story move slowly and are, well, painful! Definitely one of those books that is informative and well-written, and yet very sad, for it proves once again just how deprived & dysfunctional some childhoods really are.


Bridge to Haven, by Francine Rivers

I haven't read a Francine Rivers number for quite awhile, but when I was looking through the library's website for an available download for my Kindle, and happened upon this one, I thought I would give it a try. The book has a theme of love and redemption that is meant to mirror Christ's love for us, and while it also has some of the trappings of a romance novel, I thought that the reading material was on higher ground than most in its genre. Another big difference between this book and many novels (particularly romance) is that the protagonist, Abra, deals with real issues and losses from her past; her "prince" doesn't just sweep in and erase them without a trace, and that makes the story much more realistic and worthwhile, in my opinion.


Little House Living: The Make-Your-Own Guide to a Frugal, Simple, and Self-Sufficient Life,
by Merissa A. Alink.

When I go to the library, I like to peruse the shelves where they stick the new books, and that's where I found this one. Full of attractive pictures and interesting narrative, it's a good book for browsing through when you have a moment here or there for such things! It has different categories, Body & Beauty, Household, Childhood & Pets, and Make-Ahead Mixes, and each one comes with recipes, tips and notes that honestly look like something even a novice (like me!) could have success with in the DIY genre. Have I made my own moisturizing body wash or baked oatmeal mix yet? No, but it has given me some inspiration & ideas for things I might attempt someday down the road...and as I said, it's a fun book for browsing, and sometimes that's enough!

Featured Children's Selection:

Have you met Harry yet?


Well, if you haven't, and if you have children anywhere in the vicinity of my children's ages, you should! As soon as possible!!!

The Harry books, written by Gene Zion and illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham, have been around for awhile, which may be precisely why they're so appealing, and they tell simple, funny little stories about the life, adventures, and misadventures of a little while dog with black spots!

Elasa has been copying down selections from No Roses for Harry as part of her language arts assignment, and Harry the Dirty Dog was a reading assignment for the same curriculum, so we've been enjoying Harry once again in this house, which I consider a very good thing!

My children seem to have inherited my need to be surrounded by books, and of all the possible genes to pass down to ones kin, this is along the more favorable, in my biased opinion!

However...there's only one problem: they often surround themselves with a diet of way too much Bernstein Bears, Arthur, Franklin the Turtle, Clifford, and other selections that have to do with cars, big rigs and fire engines (and are, quite frankly, downright BORING!!!)

What's a mother to do?

#1: Make the children's library section of the library your best friend, as well as your child's. That way, when they come home and unload Curious George Goes to the Circus, they also unload your fascinating choices!

#2: Make sure you choose the books for story-time now and then. As in...

"Here honey, have some Harry!"


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your latest reads! I'm always looking for an interesting book. My children never tire of the Harry books. In fact, David was just reading one to Luci the other night. Harry and the Lady Next Door is really amusing!!
    BTW, I like the polka-dot border around your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy