ONLY {Life in a Random Word, Installment 1}

Today I got an email from an online site that sends me reports regarding the progress and milestones I am undergoing with this pregnancy, and it informed me that I have only 132 days to go...

Apparently, the word only is relative.

They think it means, "Hurrah for you! You've made so much progress, that you have only 132 days left to go!

I think:

Only 132 days of chugging down gallons of a water a day to satisfy someone's idea of what constitutes "enough"?

Only 132 days of wondering if I have the energy to climb the stairs?

Only 132 days of enduring this painful spot in my back that aches and complains (especially when I sit down to write!) no matter how much I shift and stretch?

Only 132 days of eating this and not eating that to ensure maximum protein and minimum constipation?

Only 132 days of standing sideways at the sink to wash dishes?

Only 132 days of avoiding my stomach in bed when sometimes that's the very position I crave?

Only 132 days of keeping the waddle out of my walk?

Only 132 days of waiting to meet this new little person who I am so excited about?

Sometimes only sounds like an eternity.

Sometimes I want to hasten things up a little, to slide the game piece a little faster along on the board towards home plate.

Only, what would I be missing?

Our days are meant to be savored and enjoyed, not rushed and catapulted, and I am assuming this stands true even through times of waiting and expectation.

I can make a list of all the things I would like to override over the next number of months, but there is also a corresponding list of things I would hate to miss, were I to skip over the days with careless abandon...

The first blooming daffodils...

Gavin's daily & exciting progress in learning how to read...

Parker's out-of-the-blue announcements on what he wants to be when he grows up...

The last day of school...

Wesley's welcome return from work at the end of the day...

Walks around the block with the heady scent of spring in the air...

Those fresh strawberries we were talking about at the lunch table today...

I know enough about God to believe that he designed 280 days of pregnancy for a reason, and that more than likely, it's not only the baby that needs this particular amount of time to be optimally prepared for what's to come, but the mother, too!

Just think- we have to pick out a name that this child will carry for life...

And we have only 132 more days to do it!


Comments

  1. Awww. Just try to enjoy the pregnancy as much as you can. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy