Contemplating Warm Memories on a Cold Day

Sometimes snowy day make me feel cozy and sometimes they make me feel contemplative.

Today was what you might call a Snowbound Saturday, and while it was mostly a cozy one- watching out the window as Wesley & Gavin did the shoveling, working on indoor projects without needing to stir abroad, finishing a good book over chocolate- it also put me in the frame of mind to miss my friends who are far away...

And to remember...

The imprint of a stockinged  foot on the woodstove door.

Tea bags in the sink.

A cozy cabin back an icy lane.

And, in particular, a silly little poem learned, oh, about 12 or 13 Winters ago, while in the company of two such missed friends...

I looked the poem up and had such a good laugh over the accompanying Pooh & Piglet story that I decided that everyone else needed the chance to be warmed by it as well! You may wish to go here to read the entire chapter!

ONE day when Pooh Bear had nothing else to do, he thought he would do something, so he went round to Piglet's house to see what Piglet was doing. It was still snowing as he stumped over the white forest track, and he expected to find Piglet warming his toes in front of his fire, but to his surprise he saw that the door was open, and the more he looked inside the more Piglet wasn't there. 
      "He's out," said Pooh sadly. "That's what it is. He's not in. I shall have to go a fast Thinking Walk by myself. Bother!" 
      But first he thought that he would knock very loudly just to make quite sure . . . and while he waited for Piglet not to answer, he jumped up and down to keep warm, and a hum came suddenly into his head, which seemed to him a Good Hum, such as is Hummed Hopefully to Others. 

      The more it snows 
      (Tiddely pom), 
      The more it goes 
      (Tiddely pom), 
      The more it goes 
      (Tiddely pom) 
      On snowing. 
      And nobody knows 
      (Tiddely pom), 
      How cold my toes 
      (Tiddely pom), 
      How cold my toes 
      (Tiddely pom), 
      Are growing. 

      "So what I'll do," said Pooh, "is I'll do this. I'll just go home first and see what the time is, and perhaps I'll put a muffler round my neck, and then I'll go and see Eeyore and sing it to him." 
      He hurried back to his own house; and his mind was so busy on the way with the hum that he was getting ready for Eeyore that, when he suddenly saw Piglet sitting in his best arm-chair, he could only stand there rubbing his head and wondering whose house he was in. 
      "Hallo, Piglet," he said. "I thought you were out." 
      "No," said Piglet, "it's you who were out, Pooh." 
      "So it was," said Pooh. "I knew one of us was." 
      He looked up at his clock, which had stopped at five minutes to eleven some weeks ago. 
      "Nearly eleven o'clock," said Pooh happily. "You're just in time for a little smackerel of something," and he put his head into the cupboard. "And then we'll go out, Piglet, and sing my song to Eeyore." 
      "Which song, Pooh?" 
      "The one we're going to sing to Eeyore," explained Pooh. 
      The clock was still saying five minutes to eleven when Pooh and Piglet set out on their way half an hour later. The wind had dropped, and the snow, tired of rushing round in circles trying to catch itself up, now fluttered gently down until it found a place on which to rest, and sometimes the place was Pooh's nose and sometimes it wasn't, and in a little while Piglet was wearing a white muffler round his neck and feeling more snowy behind the ears than he had ever felt before. 
      "Pooh," he said at last, and a little timidly, because he didn't want Pooh to think he was Giving In, "I was just wondering. How would it be if we went home now and practised your song, and then sang it to Eeyore to-morrow--or--or the next day, when we happen to see him?" 
      "That's a very good idea, Piglet," said Pooh. "We'll practise it now as we go along. But it's no good going home to practise it, because it's a special Outdoor Song which Has To Be Sung In The Snow." 
      "Are you sure?" asked Piglet anxiously. 
      "Well, you'll see, Piglet, when you listen. Because this is how it begins. The more it snows, tiddely pom----" 
      "Tiddely what?" said Piglet. 
      "Pom," said Pooh. "I put that in to make it more hummy. The more it goes, tiddely pom, the more----" 
      "Didn't you say snows?" 
      "Yes, but that was before." 
      "Before the tiddely pom?" 
      "It was a different tiddely pom," said Pooh, feeling rather muddled now. "I'll sing it to you properly and then you'll see." 
      So he sang it again. 

      The more it 
      SNOWS-tiddely-pom, 
      The more it 
      GOES-tiddely-pom 
      The more it 
      GOES-tiddely-pom 
      On 
      Snowing 

      And nobody 
      KNOWS-tiddely-pom, 
      How cold my 
      TOES-tiddely-pom 
      How cold my 
      TOES-tiddely-pom 
      Are 
      Growing. 

      He sang it like that, which is much the best way of singing it, and when he had finished, he waited for Piglet to say that, of all the Outdoor Hums for Snowy Weather he had ever heard, this was the best. And, after thinking the matter out carefully, Piglet said: 
      "Pooh," he said solemnly, "it isn't the toes so much as the ears." 



Dedicated, with a great deal of love and a good many fond memories, to the two friends who introduced me to such wonders as tiddely-pom many long years ago...

You know who you are!!! (And by which Hundred-Acre Character you were called!!!)

And I just want to say that I am missing you (and all of my far-away friends) today...

Comments

  1. .....I am a unicorn.....said a certain somebody........
    Those two friends of yours are very lucky, you know ;-)
    Cheers! To days gone by, to the best of friends, moments shared and memories for a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This weekend I found myself feeling a wistful longing for the days when we had nothing to do on weekends but laugh with friends, plan new adventures, and dream of the future we are now living. Even more, though, I'm filled with a deep thanksgiving for friends like you all - who formed my world and populated it with joy and laughter. And with a sense of gratitude that friendship does not have to fade; it can grow deeper and richer and more precious as the years go by. Maybe the depth of missing we feel is the most accurate reflection of the importance of friendship in each of our lives. Or, in A.A. Milne's own words "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy