Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 18, Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good

Oh, hi!

I thought I heard someone at the door! Next time don't be afraid to use the big knocker, and if that doesn't work, you can lift the mail slot and give a holler! It's been done before and it's actually pretty effective.

Do come in out of the cold and stay awhile! I know it's February and all, but when did you ever see such weather?

I mean, when it got up to close to forty on Sunday, we started feeling HOT, and that's a little unreasonable!

Oh, well, we're in our last week of the month and thankfully this can't last forever.



I've just brewed up a pot of Lemon Lift tea, so here's a cup of that, and please help yourself to some biscotti! Sorry about it being two weeks old, but I am discovering that biscotti has a very impressive shelf life.

I've kept mine in a container on top of the fridge, but don't worry, unlike Father Tim and Cynthia, I don't have a Violet that lives up there.

Only dust bunnies.

(But remember! The biscotti was in a container. And a Tupperware one at that!)

Which one do you like better? The chocolate or the lemon-anise? Oh, sorry about that! I guess you didn't have a choice since I ate the last slice of the chocolate, but maybe I'll make another batch soon and you can try the chocolate next time.

Just be sure to dunk it in your tea before biting it. We don't want any broken teeth!

Do you want sugar or cream for your tea? I prefer mine black, but I know not everyone does, and I understand that. Oh, I have honey, too, if you don't mind dipping into a big jar.

The only thing I am out of is sugar cubes, so here's a spoon for the sugar and you can just dip out of the canister.

Feel free to take your tea into the living room and don't mind the couch cushions on the floor! The boys were making some kind of lair out of them before naptime, so just feel free to toss them back on the couch or sit on the floor, wherever you're most comfortable!

And don't slip on the books lying about. We can't keep them on the shelves for anything around here as they're in constant use.

Oh, yes, I know, do you hear that? Elasa has a terrible cough, but at least the fever is gone! My, this sure has been a winter for bugs! So much for the theory that cold weather gets rid of the bugs...I think the colder it gets outside, the more bugs get nicely incubated inside.

Maybe what we have is a little like the Mitford Crud! We just don't have a handy little name for it!!!

Now, where's that paper with my list of discussion questions?

I guess I'll just use my computer and type the answers in as we go along...

And by the way, wasn't Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good just the perfect book for these dull February days? Life in Mitford isn't always high drama either, but somehow, someone else's ordinary is always more interesting than your own.

And besides, Jan Karon's pen can make just about anything fascinating!!!

So, let's get started:

1. After taking a break to go to Holly Springs and Ireland with Father Tim, how did it feel to be back in Mitford?
   It felt like coming home to me! There is something warm and comforting and familiar about Mitford to me, so I felt like I do when coming home from a trip..."Wow, it's good to be home!"

2. What does the term Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good mean to you?
     Cynthia said in a love-letter to her husband that this was something she always yearned for and that she was so grateful to have found it in him (this can be found on page 107 in the book! I should know- I looked a longggg time for it!!!) I think it is something we all yearn for, and I can say, with gratitude, that I have found it... and not only in marriage, but in friendships, too, which is why I think I can safely say it can be found by everyone and in a variety of ways...

3. Did you agree with Father Tim's approach to dealing with Sammy?
    Father Tim opted to remain calm. unruffled, and loving in the face of Sammy's belligerent and even unacceptable behavior, and yet it was effective in the end. Or at least it seems that Sammy is going forward and upward!

4. Was there an event in the story that caught you by surprise?
     Well, Irene finding out that she had a twin was a surprise, but a few of the other things I saw     coming! (When you have come home, you know your way around pretty well!!!)

5. Has there ever been a time in particular when you felt you needed more purpose in life (like Father Tim when he was struggling with retirement?)
    I think I ran in to this the most as a young person when the big question of "what to do with my life" was in the forefront, but sometimes I face it even now, just under different conditions: I know what my purpose is, but I sometimes have to re-figure how to fulfill my purpose...and do it with more grace and less grimace!

6. Who is you favorite character in this book (and you may not say Father Tim!)
     Father Tim!!! Okay, okay! I guess I have to play by my own rules! Well then, I really like Hope (she is the owner of a bookshop, after all!) and I will just have to say that Coot earned a special spot in my heart that he never had before...especially as he worked so eagerly over learning to read (The Cat in the Hat, at that!!!)

7. Were you satisfied with the outcome of this book and what do you picture will be the opening scene in the next book? (And let's hope there is a next one!)
    I was disappointed with one point: We never got to meet Hope's baby!!! So, I think the opening scene in the next book is going to be Dooley and Lace's wedding...with a little toddler Grace for the flower girl!

Oh, my! Is is that time already? Well, I understand if you have to go, but you're sure welcome to stay longer. I am just warming up leftovers for supper anyway, so I don't have much to do...

What? You're making stuffed shells and breadsticks for supper? And Chocolate Mascarpone Cheesecake for dessert? Wow! Your family will love you!

(We won't say how my family will feel about me over reheated potatoes and chicken!!!)

Well, I sure am glad you came over!

See you next time...and by the next time we meet, it will be Spring!!! Think about that!

Here's your coat and is this your scarf? Pretty...

Yes, you have to give that door a hard pull to close it! And I hope you don't have to plow through too much snow to get to your car!

Bye now!

Bye!!!

(Waving out window!!!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy