Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 22, Introducing April's Book of the Month

I struggle almost constantly with being indecisive...

Put me in a fabric store, a restaurant, or in front of the computer trying to choose a quilt for my bed and I can soon turn myself into a ball of knots!

Should I go with the grey or the coral? 
Am I hungry for pesto linguine or the fettuccine alfredo? 
Will this quilt clash with my curtains? 

And don't even get me started on paint colors!

There's a reason you still haven't seen my new bedroom yet, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that there's a certain yellow on the walls which I still can't decide if I like or not, and it's been about a half-a-year since it was rolled on!

Now that I am choosing a book of the month, I have a whole new world of options in which to be indecisive!

This month would be a prime example: I researched quite a few options on Amazon and other sources, ordered several books from the library as a result of that research, browsed through the actual library and selected a book or two from the shelves, plus looked at an option or two on my own bookshelves....

And all in vain!

For let's just say that even after all of that, the perfect book was still on the loose and I was tired of looking!

Maybe this was a sign that I should go  through with my threat of choosing Frog and Toad or Alice in Wonderland after the heavy reading from last month!

Hmmm...or maybe now would be a good time to read something that has been sitting on my Kindle wish list since practically the beginning?

After all, while Bread and Wine, by Shauna Niequist, may not fall into quite the same genre as others I've picked so far, variety is the spice of life, and this book has intrigued and appealed to me for some time now.


Maybe the time has come for more than a brief and tantalizing sample on my Kindle?

This is what Amazon has to say about it:

"Bread & Wine is a collection of essays about family relationships, friendships, and the meals that bring us together. This mix of Anne Lamott and Barefoot Contessa is a funny, honest, and vulnerable spiritual memoir. Bread & Wine is a celebration of food shared, reminding readers of the joy found in a life around the table. It’s about the ways God teaches and nourishes people as they nourish the people around them. It’s about hunger, both physical and otherwise, and the connections between the two.
With wonderful recipes included, from Bacon-Wrapped Dates to Mango Chicken Curry to Blueberry Crisp, readers will be able to recreate the comforting and satisfying meals that come to life in Bread & Wine."

One of the quandaries I had with choosing this book was a word right there in the title: wine!!!

For a tee-totaling Mennonite, that word is pretty taboo.

We don't even use wine in communion services, much less around the dinner table.

And yet...while I stand by my church's agreement to abstain from alcohol, I still believe that others can choose differently from me and still be right and still have something to offer, even if we do choose different paths on whether we have wine goblets or water glasses on our table when we sit down to dinner with friends.

For this reason and others, I am excited about reading a book of essays on food, family, friends, and faith, with a few recipes thrown in for good measure that might be fun to try!

Join me?

After all, food is always more fun when it has fellowship to go with it!

That's one thing, at least, on which I have no trouble being decisive!


Comments

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. I'm tempted to join you - except that I have been doing almost no reading the past month and already have five books started that I should read before starting anything new. But I'll have this book on my to-read list and look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

    Where do you get your book ideas?
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have you join, but I understand how there is only so much time for reading in a busy life! If you do get around to reading it in the future, please feel free to leave your comments at that point...my book reviews never expire! Where do I get my book ideas? Well, the top three places so far have been the library, Amazon or other online places that have book lists & reviews, and books that I find one way or another on my Kindle. I am finding that it takes a lot of research to find and recommend a book, because of the high volume of inappropriate material out there, so I am always open to a recommendation for a good book that would be suitable for a book of the month! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy