The Nourishment- Day Three

If there is one word that sums up what we want to give our young people this week, I think we could say it is nourishment.

We want to give them solid, Kingdom-based teaching, opportunities to form good relationship and interact with other youth, and plenty of food at our tables.

If we can do all of these things, we will have nourished the soul, the emotions, and the body respectively, and in turn should be looking at a healthy bunch of young people when they stand up to sing on Sunday morning!

As you already know if you read my other two Bible-school-related posts this week, The Beginning and The Dynamics, I am on the physical food side in the nourishment department, and my kitchen can prove it!

When I signed up for providing supper for the Bible-school students on Thursday evening, I already had in mind that I would like to do a repeat of the meal I did last year! It may not sound very creative to do the same thing twice, but sometimes, trying to figure out a menu for a crowd can be the hardest part, and since it worked so well last year, I saw no reason to fix something that wasn't broken! The added bonus is that since we learned a few things last year, we can take advantage of that instead of starting over from scratch.

The other advantage to this year is that I am working with one of the same ladies, Janet, as last year, which means that we can try to remember what we did before and either do likewise or do better!

Last year my Mom and one of my sisters helped with our meal, but this year both of them were doing other meals, so I took Jaime up on her offer when she said she would be available to help, and that has created a very nice team!

So, our menu?

Beef & Rice Enchiladas, served with lettuce and sour cream
Tortilla chips & salsa
Fried Ice cream Dessert

Sound pretty simple? Actually it is, which is precisely why we are doing it for a second time in a row!

And just in case you're interested in feeding a crowd, I am going to go over the recipes and quantities. If nothing else, this will be a handy referral for me if I do this again next year, for much to my dismay, we had very little recorded from last year, which meant that we had to pick our brains and figure everything out again this year, and that should not have been necessary!

Beef and Rice Enchiladas, 
1 pkg 6.8oz Spanish Rice and Vermicelli Mix (Rice A Roni is one brand)
1- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes 
1 lb ground beef
2- 10 oz cans enchilada sauce-divided
4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded-divided
10  8" flour tortillas

Prepare rice according to instructions on box, including can of tomatoes, Brown ground beef. Stir rice, beef and 1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce together. Place 2/3 cup of mixture in center of each tortilla. Top with 1/3 cup cheese. Roll up and place in ungreased 9x13 pan. Top with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake at 350, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. 

This year Janet & I took care of the enchiladas and each made 5 batches for a total of 100 enchiladas. Janet picked up all the Rice A Roni, diced tomatoes and enchilada sauce at a local salvage grocery store (BB's) and I got the tortillas in large packs of 16 at Sam's Club.

This morning I mixed up my five batches of "enchilada stuffing" at home...


 And then Janet and I both took our bowls of "stuffing" over to the church this evening, where there is ample counter space for such things, filled a total of 101 tortillas and put them in an assortment of pans...


We are serving lettuce and sour cream with the enchiladas, and I got 8 heads of lettuce (a mixture of Romaine, red and green) and Janet got 6-16 oz. containers of sour cream. We ran out of lettuce last year as I way underestimated how much lettuce people would pile on top of their enchiladas, so I hope I got enough this year as I do not want that to happen again!!!

For the chips and salsa, which we will be putting on the tables, I got 5 large 24-oz. bags at Sam's Club and Janet got the salsa.


Jaime is taking care of all the dessert (and I believe making 5- 9 by 13 pans) so I don't have any pictures, but I do have the recipe since I gave it to her!

Fried Ice Cream Dessert

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
8 oz. Cool Whip
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
honey to drizzle

In a large skillet, melt butter. Add cornflakes and sugar and stir over medium heat until just slightly browned. Press half of the crumbs into a 9 by 13 pan. Combine ice cream, Cool Whip and cinnamon. Spread over crumb mixture. Top with remaining crumbs and freeze. Drizzle with honey just before serving.

We are planning to serve around 75 students, possibly a few "staff members" and our own three families (which right there is 6 adults and 10 children!), so we're hoping that all of our figures are right!

I guess you can find out when I publish the results of our nourishment endeavours tomorrow!

Comments

  1. I've learned that the Bible School students just don't eat as much in the evenings as you would expect... Probably a combination of not getting a lot of physical activity during the day and being well fed at breakfast and lunch! Your meal sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that comment was meant to appear on Day Four!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tea & A Good Book Brewing- Installment 7, Footprints on the Ceiling with a Give-away!

New Words for a New Year

Noteworthy